- 2 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 pound squid, cleaned
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Mizithra cheese
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- In a small sauce pan, boil the squid in 3 cups of water mixed with the red wine vinegar for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, cut into bite-sized rings/pieces, and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy skillet. Saute the onion and garlic until onion is tender, but not brown. Stir in the squid, and saute for 2 minutes. Pour in the crushed tomatoes, white wine and lemon juice. Season with cinnamon stick, bay leaves, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes partially covered, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, and mix in cooked pasta. Serve topped with grated cheese
Click here to translate this page into several different languages