Indian Oil Sardine
ESCABECHE OF SARDINES
- 12 sardines
- 50g/2oz plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 150ml/5fl oz olive oil
- 85ml/3fl oz red wine vinegar
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 5cm/2in strip orange zest
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 small bunch fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped roughly
- Gut, scale and remove the heads from the sardines, then dust them in the seasoned flour.
- Fry them in half the olive oil for 1 minute on each side, then transfer to a shallow dish.
- Add everything except the parsley and the remaining oil to the pan, bring to the boil and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add the parsley and the rest of the olive oil, pour the hot marinade over the sardines and leave until cold.
Click here to translate this page into several different languages