- 1 1/3 pounds skinless Pacific albacore, cut into 3/4 inch thick loin cuts
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, crushed
- dash of cayenne
- Sautéed Red Peppers (see below)
- 2 French rolls, split lengthwise
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
Sautéed Red Peppers:
- 1 red pepper, roasted, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, sliced into thin half-rings
Rinse albacore with cold water; pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
Make vinaigrette by combining oil, lemon juice, pepper, salt, oregano and cayenne; mix well. Divide in half.
Marinate albacore in one-half of the vinaigrette for 30 minutes, turning once.
While fish is marinating make Sautéed Red Peppers (see recipe below).
Drain albacore reserving marinade. Place on greased grate, 4-5 inches from hot coals.
Cook 5-6 minutes, turning once and basting frequently.
Do not overcook! Albacore should be pink in center when removed from the heat.
Toast rolls lightly on grill. Brush toasted sides with remaining vinaigrette.
Make four open-faced sandwiches by topping with albacore, Sautéed Red Peppers and fresh basil. Serve immediately.
Sautéed Red Peppers
In non-stick pan, sauté garlic and onion in oil until onion is translucent. Stir in red peppers and remove from heat. Set aside.